You can face the pain of discipline now or the pain of regret later.
We all have the will to win. But the will to win without the will to prepare to win is nothing. The only place in which ‘success’ comes before ‘work’ is in the dictionary. There is no easy, pain-proof route to success. It takes sacrifice and discipline.
Think on this: Discipline + talent + passion = unstoppable force
There are a lot of very talented people who are not performing to their full potential because they avoid rigorous preparation. Discipline – the will to prepare – is the X-factor that will take whatever talent and passion you have to the next level and beyond.
Here are six steps to becoming more disciplined and putting the X-factor to work in your life.
- Be a true student of your craft or profession. To continue earning more, you have to keep learning more.
- Give more value than you’re paid for… I can’t overemphasize this. When you ‘go the extra mile,’ you won’t find competitors on the road.
- Don’t hope to succeed. Expect to succeed. The more you prepare, the more you can expect to achieve the outcome or result that you want. The less you prepare, the more you will hope to achieve the outcome or result that you want.
- Become an expert in a field or topic. Stretch out of your comfort zone to perform at a challenging level that forces you to learn and grow – and an important part of that process in many fields is spending time around other people who are performing at an extremely high level.
- Do the absolute worst task first. This is a simple, but ruthless concept: do the task that you don’t want to tackle, you know, the one that if you did it, would have the greatest impact on creating the results you’re trying to accomplish.
- Find a mentor or a coach. When you take the discipline of preparing every day with your passion, and then you get a coach or a mentor to continually help you get better, it could take you to the elite level.
There is no shortcut to success: it takes time, preparation, and experience. There is no easy path or magic bullet to take you there. You must put in the time and effort to get the results you want, on the way to creating the success you’ve envisioned for yourself.
The content is an excerpt from my book called Clarity: How To Get It, How To Keep It & How To Use It To Balance Your Life. If you want to dig into this topic, I dedicated Chapter 5 to it.